Why we’re different
Ethiopiaid works with Ethiopians to help transform their lives. With our amazing supporters we work for an Ethiopia without poverty, in which every person enjoys the right to quality education, healthcare and a life of dignity.
We are an efficient and effective charity raising funds for trusted community partners in Ethiopia. We work with local people, valued for their expertise, honesty and ambition.
We are experienced
We have been working with Ethiopian people for 25 years. We do not run projects ourselves. Instead, we give local people opportunities – through funding – to use their initiative and skills to make the right difference. We have never experienced fraud. We have never had to ‘fire’ a partner. In fact, we often see the same wonderful faces year after year. Such loyalty and experience is invaluable and means that every Euro that you give us is used as effectively as it can be.
We are efficient
We share our office space with another company, who generously cover the cost. We have a small team with just one paid member of staff who manages all of the processes that larger charities do – our campaigns, our partners, our finances and our administration. We only spend what we need to on this last part whilst the rest goes where it is most needed: our Ethiopian partners.
We are focused
We know our strengths and our limitations. We do not promise to change to the world, or even all of Ethiopia. What we do know – from firsthand experience – is that our partners make the biggest difference in their local community.
Importantly, we have no staff or offices in Ethiopia. We send our money directly to Ethiopia so that donations can be spent as soon as they’re needed. We make sure that suitable amounts are sent at the right times and our partners do the rest.
Our aims and goals
Our vision is an Ethiopia free from preventable poverty, in which every person enjoys the right to quality education, healthcare and a life of dignity.
Our mission understands that Ethiopians are ambitious, dedicated and intelligent with exceptional entrepreneurial spirit. We want to help nurture this talent by working with local organisations to help unlock their potential and prevent poverty in a realistic and achievable way.
We aim to:
- Increase access to quality maternal health care
- Change attitudes to the practice of harmful traditions, such as FGM and Mingi
- Engage with those suffering from disabilities to ensure they too become part of their own communities
- Promote quality education for all, with a focus on those excluded through disability, poverty, or the death of parents and loved ones
- Treat preventable yet destructive diseases such as Noma by supporting the identification and treatment of patients
- Ensure the rights and safety of vulnerable girls and women
How your donations are used
- 93% of donations were sent to our partners in 2013, a total of €408,353.
- We have one paid member of staff who works in our Grafton Street office.
- The office space is kindly donated and as such the cost is not taken out of general public donations.
In the Autumn of 1987, Sir Alec Reed returned from his first visit to Ethiopia. He saw what many people might expect - widespread hardship, suffering and poverty. He also saw passion, knowledge and ambition.
Ethiopiaid came to life in 1989. Sir Alec Reed knew that it could take something simple to make a huge difference to the lives of many people. Starting with an investment of £1m, he created a platform for years of change. Ethiopiaid has grown without losing sight of its relatively humble beginnings. Using a small number of hardworking staff and a donated office space, this £1m has grown into more than £30m in partner donations over 25 successful years.
In 2002 we opened Ethiopiaid Ireland. From simple beginnings, focusing on connecting Irish people with our Ethiopian partners, we have grown to become an independent, sustainable organisation with our own voluntary board of trustees and partners in Ethiopia.
We are still connected to the larger Ethiopiaid family though a shared belief in working with Ethiopiains to help them achieve the potential that so inspired Sir Alex Reed in 1987.
- Ethiopiaid is a registered charity in Ireland. Our CHY number is 13305. Our registered company number is 343187.
- The Executive Director is Liam Barnard. He is the only paid member of staff. He can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ethiopiaid has an independent, voluntary Board of Trustees. The current Chairperson is Michael Keegan. The Secretary is Oonagh O'Connor.
- Ethiopiaid's financial accounts are independently audited to ensure their accuracy and maintain transparency. Our auditors are Whiteside Cullinan of South Frederick Street, Dublin 2.